04/08/2011

Seborrheaic Dermatitis- how you can control the Flaky SCALP condition...


Do I have Seborrhoeic Dermatitis?




According to Wikipedia, its defined as:


Seborrhoeic dermatitis (also seborrheic dermatitis , seborrhea) (also known as "seborrheic eczema"[1]) is an inflammatory[2]skin disorder affecting the scalp, face, and torso. Typically, seborrheic dermatitis presents with scaly, flaky, itchy, red skin. It particularly affects the sebum-gland rich areas of skin. In adolescents and adults, seborrhoeic dermatitis usually presents as scalp scaling (dandruff).


In other words it is:


Classic flakes on the scalp
A series of dry, itchy, flaky patches, that vary in size and thickness that usually occur on the scalp, especially around the hair margins in the front and on the sides and in the back of the head.  It can also appear on the skin, behind the ears and on eyebrows.


Does it cause Hair loss?


The condition itself does not cause hair-loss, 


However the constant rubbing, itching and scratching of the hair can begin to thin around the edges.  If left untreated the scaling or flakes really build up and when they lift up, in my experience that can cause hair-loss!!


Who can get it??




Up to 30% of the population is affected with seborrheic dermatitis, but most do not know the condition by name. It can come and go with flare ups occurring during the winter months when it is cooler and drier. It can also flare up in association with stress and anxiety,such as that due to exams in school, deadlines at work or hormonal changes,  , sales quotas to meet, or financial difficulties.


The very first sign of the condition is even seen in babies, Cradle cap is a mild version of the condition.


This condition does not spread by transferring it from one part of the body to another or from person to person. It is genetic and frequently affects multiple family members in different generations.




Curing and controlling...Seborrhoeic Dermatitis




In my experience there is no flat-out cure for Seborrhoeic Dermatitis however these are the tips I want to share that helped me to control and keep my condition at bay!


1)  Get a prescribed shampoo from the doctors, I used to use: 
The shampoo- I recommend!




Nizoral:


Clinical studies have shown that Nizoral can also stimulate hair growth; with one study showing that 2% ketocanazole (Nizorals primary ingredient) was as effective as minoxidil at treating male hair-loss!



I liked the shampoo for controlling the itching, flakes and cleansing the scalp.

However I did not like the DRYING effect it had on my hair so my tips are to avoid that effect:

  • Slather your hair in conditioner, leaving a cm of hair near to the scalp clear.
  • If your hair is long enough, braid the hair in 4 loose sections.  You will leave these in whilst you was the scalp. (this will eliminate tangling)
  • Dilute 1oz of the shampoo in a cup of water, this will make it easier to apply to the scalp.
  • Pour the diluted shampoo over the scalp and gently massage in, do Not Scratch, you don't want to cut your scalp.
  • Leave the shampoo on the scalp for 5-8 minutes, it needs time to penetrate the flakes.
  • Proceed to wash out, loosening 1 braid at a time to wash away any flakes that may have come away and traveled down into your braided hair.
Finally follow up with a Deep Conditioning treatment, at least 1 x a week!

Repeat this shampoo technique every other day, until the flakes have sufficiently been removed.


In order to control the sometimes embarrassing flakes on my scalp I also created my own oil, now called the SCALP Hydration Serum, available at Pak's cosmetics, or online at www.root2tip.com.

The oil is 100% Natural, an it soothes the scalp, stops itching and helps to re-grow thinning hair.

The Scalp Hydration Serum contains the natural mineral SULFUR, which is a key ingredient I believe in controlling Seborrhoeic Dermatitis, and also other scalp conditions, like 
Psoriasis ( which is a chronic immune-mediated disease that appears on the skin. It occurs when the immune system sends out faulty signals that speed up the growth cycle of skin cells.)  


Why it works on the scalp??


The sulfur extract is in a base of scalp loving vegetable oils, that are not heavy, but provide enough hydration to stop itching, coupled with an essential oil extract that helps to stimulate growth.

I used that oil daily and My scalp Tonic The ROOT Energizer, 2 x a week, to also help with hair growth.


Progress:

I made great progress when I followed the above routine in controlling my Seborrhoeic Dermatitis,

I managed to achieve thicker stronger hair, as a result of the scalp oils I was using, and my hair remained healthy.


2 great 100% Natural oils!

Do not think you are alone with this condition, you are not!!


Although there is no real cure, you can control it and keep it away!!


Control your condition do not let it control you.


Whatever you do don't ignore it, and always seek Medical advice!




Blessings,




Sal


email me if you have any questions, I will try to reply within 48 hours!

5 comments:

Crystal Afro said...

Hi Salem, thanks for this post its just what I needed. I think this maybe what I'm suffering from. As soon as these London riots calm down I'll be in pak to buy the scalp hydration.
A lot of ppl suggested Apple Cider Vinegar or tea-tree oil may help what do u think?
Gona post a link to this article on my blog: unitedkinkdom.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Hi Crystal, how are you girl? in regards to your question, I know ACV is good for clarifiying the scalp and balancing it and the hair, I cant see any harm in doing an ACV rinse after you have washed the scalp, however the tee-tree oil may be a little harsh on its own, simply because its anti-microbial so it prevents bacteria from spreading, in regards to a dry scalp or this condition I have found the scalp hydration to be the best for me, the sulfur element helps with the scalp flaking, it is a natural mineral already within the body, the scalp hydration also has amongst other oils coconut oil in it which is a great light oil that will penetrate the scalp to ease itching and dryness.

The ROOT Energizer contains tea-tree oil and they both worked for me, I have not seen one my flake in my scalp for over 4 years now!!

Crystal Afro said...

Hey Salem, just to let you know I bought the Root2Tip Scalp Hydration from PAK in Dalston today, cant wait to try it. I'll be doin a blog post and posting a pic on the Crystal Afro Facebook page too.
www.facebook.com/crystalafro

Blessings xx

Unknown said...

great news Crystal, look forward
to getting your feed-back x

Ms Jenn said...

You are great at tutorials, SO EASY TO FOLLOW!!
Thank you

black products

Enlighten Yourself In Gods Word

Hair Confidence

Hair Confidence
The Fro is Back!!