Take the opportunity to get upto 1 inch of growth in a month with the help of my hair growing tips...
Firstly I would like to dispel the myth that black hair does not grow...
The number of times a sister has said to me ...but my hair just does not grow! is ridiculous!
Now For The Science:
Hair is composed of strong structural protein called keratin. This is the same kind of protein that makes up the nails and the outer layer of skin.
Each strand of hair consists of three layers. An inner-most layer or medulla which is only present in large thick hairs.
The middle layer known as the cortex. The cortex provides strength and both the color and the texture of hair.
The outermost layer is known as the cuticle. The cuticle is thin and colorless and serves as a protector of the cortex.
- Anagen Phase - Growth Phase
Approximately 85% of all hairs are in the growing phase at any one time. The Anagen phase or growth phase can vary from two to six years. Hair grows approximately 10cm per year and any individual hair is unlikely to grow more than one meter long.
- Catagen Phase - transitional phase
At the end of the Anagen phase the hairs enters into a Catagen phase which lasts about one or two weeks, during the Catagen phase the hair follicle shrinks to about 1/6 of the normal length. The lower part is destroyed and the dermal papilla breaks away to rest below.
- Telogen Phase - resting phase
The resting phase follows the catagen phase and normally lasts about 5-6 weeks. During this time the hair does not grow but stays attached to the follicle while the dermal papilla stays in a resting phase below. Approximately 10-15 percent of all hairs are in this
Increase blood-flow to your follicles to get better growth
Some people say that long hair is down to genetics and that is partially true- however you can grow your hair longer than you imagined with the right care and products!
Hair Growth Formulae: Healthy hair= moisture + massage = length retention= Longer hair!
If you think your hair doesn't grow...why do you continue to apply relaxer to your 'new-growth?
Its difficult to see your growth if the ends of your hair are constantly between the teeth of your comb!!
If your hair is natural your hair will probably grow out then down...so you may notice it getting bigger, but unless you straighten it its hard to see its length
If this head of hair was straightened it would be past her shoulders...
Lets GET REAL: Admit your hair mistakes, admit your hair is un-healthy, not growing and breaking (if it is!!) and do something about it!!
- Set a hair length goal in your mind- you do not have to tell anyone - but write it down! sometimes when we take things out of our minds and jot them down, it makes them more real...and we will sub-consciously work towards that goal.
- Make a fresh start: If your hair is breaking, trim off those ends to prevent further damage. The ends of your hair are the oldest part, so keep the split ends at bay to see real growth!
- Create your own haircare regime- give your hair a 'date with you' whereby you pay it the attention it needs to grow healthy and long, take the time to deep condition and steam it!
- Give your hair a holiday, a time-out , a break from its daily life. Rest your hair whilst wearing a Protective style (see below)
- Pay attention to your scalp! Healthy hair grows from a healthy clean scalp. If your scalp is full of grease, bacteria you cannot see, and dandruff, or is very dry- your hair will not grow properly. Will a rose bush grow in a desert
- Wash your scalp frequently! forget the myths about hair growing when its dirty! that is nonsense. Your hair will thrive if the scalp is cleaned frequently, but use the righ shampoos and conditioners. aim for at least twice a week, I wash my hair at least 3 times a week, sometimes using only conditioner!! The massage is great for the scalp when washing/rinsing.
- Stimulate your scalp to grow hair by 5-10 minute daily massaging/scritching (see below) it with oils. Growth stimulating oils like the Grow-it long serum, contain growth stimulating essential oils like rosemary, that increases the blood-flow to the roots on your head. Will a plant grow without water?
- Treat your hair like silk! Our hair is very fragile, especially when wet, so avoid combing or brushing it when wet, use your fingers instead. detangle your hair gently, from the bottom up, when its saturated in conditioner
- Moisturise your hair daily- especially the ends of the hair which are the oldest. You need to stop breakage to see your length! Apply a heavier moisturiser to the ends of your hair so they stay strong. Castor oil is great for this!
- Excercise for 30 mins at least 3 x a week- to increase the blood flow to your scalp.
- Eat/Drink healthily...what you put in your mouth can affect how your hair sprouts out!! eat plenty of hair growing veg like, spinach, carrots, protein and drink lots of water.
- Take quality hair, skin and nail vitamins, or a good multi-vitamin with minerals, this can really help with your hair growth. You need vits like B12, C, A, E and Zinc, the mineral Silica and protein L-Cysteine, to really increase hair growth.
- Wear your hair up! to avoid split ends and dry-ness keep the ends of your hair away from your clothes...your hair cannot handle the friction of brushing against your clothes regularly, its lie asking for them to split and break off.
- Avoid hair products containing, Petroleum, Mineral Oil, SLS in shampoos., and alcohols in gels and sprays. Use products that use plant botanicals, essential oils, vegetable oils, silk , wheat and vegetable proteins, biotin and panthenol.
- Be careful when relaxing your hair and especially when re-touching new growth. If your hair is over-processed it will break off like straw. Never go over the old relaxed hair with the relaxer- that is hair virtual hair suicide!!
- You are what you HEAT! Avoid using heat on your hair! Blow-dryers, flat-irons and tongs! if you must use a heat defence spray, like tresemme's thermal heat desfence.
- TOP TIP: Try sleeping with a plastic cap on your head at night time.. to retain moisture! works a treat...this will help your hair retain length by not drying out!
- Picture your growth! take a starting picture of your hair and every 3 months take another picture so you can actually see and compare your growth!!
- Check out my online hair album http://public.fotki.com/salheaven/hairgrowthpack/root-energizer-growth to get an example of why documenting your hair growth really helps- as you see your progress in pictures!
To really maximize your growth results, you should "scritch" your hair daily, after oiling our scalp. (Place a satin scarf or bonnet on your head first if you so please...)
"Scritching" is like, massaging your scalp with the pads of your fingers and lightly with the tips of your nails. It also aids in circulation, bringing blood to your scalp to feed your hair- giving you better hair growth!!
The main benefits of scritching:
- Cleanses scalp by exfoliating dandruff, debris and dead cells
Remedies hair loss
Encourages hair growth
We can all buy ourselves long hair, just like the celebs...but there is something magical when that long hair is growing from your own roots!!
It does not matter whether it is relaxed or natural- as longs as its healthy!!
How many times have you been on a date with a pretty weave and the guy tries to touch your hair stating how long it is!! and you flinch and recoil with your heart racing! as he is about to discover the lumps and bumps where the weave/tracks are attached to your scalp!!
Its Time to get GROWING!!
Check out these growth charts and set yourself a goal:
Your Ideal hair length??
Hair Growth Charts
12 months later?
The Kinder surprise effect!
Do you remember those chocolate eggs with the toy inside? Whereby you never knew until you ate the chocolate and opened the plastic container inside what you were going to get!! Reminisce on that excitment you felt, and think about how that can be trasnslated into hair-growth!!
Hair is a funny thing and black hair grows best when its not manipualted or combed daily!
Give your hair a protective style leave it for 2 months and check the surprise amount of growth you have at the end of the 2 months.
Protective Styling for major hair GROWTH:
Weaves, Braids, Natural twists and Wigs or Instant weaves are very effective styles that protect your hair from the stress of everyday life.
BRAID it UP for GROWTH...
NOTE: Make sure you stick to a healthy haircare regime, when in your protective style, to maximise your growth!!